A new Experimental section has been added to the website. Experimental components, designs, patterns, and other resources are work that is still under development.
Experimental components, designs, and other resources are presented for testing and feedback. They are not intended for production use.
June 4, 2018: V9 release
- Add-ons section has been removed. There is an Add-ons page that now lives under the Getting started section
- The Contributing page has been moved from the Guidelines to the Getting started section
- Data visualization has moved from under the components section into its own section
Updates (visual and interaction)
- Code snippets now have a new style and new interaction options. There is also a variation with line numbers available.
- Interactive tooltip (formerly Tooltip) can now contain interactive elements and opens on click
Updated all inputs so they meet the new WCAG 3:1 color ratio guidelines for defined objects
Go check out the Swatches page to see the new color options and updates.
Colors have been updated to make them more accessible— changing hex values and roles for some of the swatches
The new, updated palette is available with Design Kit
The changes include (bold indicates a new color token):
- $ui-05 – #5A6872 (passing 4.5:1, high contrast border, secondary icons)
- $ui-04 – #8897A2 (passing 3:1, now used for emphasis borders)
- $ui-03 – #DFE3E6 (not passing 3:1, now used for subtle borders)
- $support-01 - #E0182D (passing 4.5:1)
- $text-03 - #CDD1D4 (not passing 4,5:1, used only for placeholder text)
- $field-01 - #F4F7FB (input field background on ui-01)
- $field-02 - #FFFFFF (input field background on ui-02)
- $inverse-02 - #272d33 (passing 4,5:1)
There are four new hover tokens added to the Carbon palette. They can now be found on the Swatches page and are available in the Design Kit and palette plugin
- $hover-primary – #30588c
- $hover-primary-text – #294c86
- $hover-row – #5596e6 at 10% opacity
- $hover-secondary – #3d70b2
- $hover-danger – #bd1427
- Check out the Iconography page to see the new icon style
- All Icons are now
16x16px(24x24px is no longer being supported).
--glyphmodifier has been deprecated. Most of the glyph variations were replaced with a
--solid modifier. Check out the icon migration docs to see the status of all the icons.
Carbon Design Kit
- Download the latest version of the Carbon Design Kit & Library
- Components on the Component page are now split up into five different artboards: Controls, Content, Navigation, Inputs, and Data Tables
- Library has been made more flexible and customizable
- Kit and library have been updated with the new colors, components, and icon styles.
May 16, 2018
There is a new section called Utilities which gives guidance on common pattern handlings. Unlike the component section, these guidelines offer usage guidance with minimal code documentation. To read more about each of these utilities see the sections below:
The Themes page has been moved to the Style section.
March 9, 2018
We have tokenized our spacing and now offer two systemized scales. The Spacing Scale defines space within a component while the Layout Scale is used to help position elements on a page. Check out the new Spacing section to learn more about these scales and read the rest of the spacing guidelines.
Carbon Design Kit
We have recorded a Carbon Design Kit with Sketch Libraries Tutorial over on our YouTube channel. It goes over how to download the Carbon Sketch Kit, import a Sketch Library, as well as how to get and accept library updates/notifications. It also gives a brief overview of how the Library is organized and how to use the overrides panel and library symbols.
February 23, 2018
Carbon Design Kit
The Carbon Design Kit now includes Sketch Libraries, a better way to share and version symbols across Sketch files. Check out our Sketch Libraries wiki to get a quick tutorial on libraries.
Sketch Libraries in the Carbon Design Kit
With the latest release of the Design Kit, we've included the Sketch Palettes plugin, which allows you to load in pre-saved palettes for Sketch. You can import Carbon's four color palettes (Carbon default theme, Data Vis primary, Data Vis secondary, and Data Vis tertiary) into your working Sketch document.
Sketch Palettes plugin
There's also a variety of other plugins we recommend to help improve your workflow using Sketch.
Download the latest Kit today! Carbon Design Kit
Interested in getting some 1:1 time with the Carbon team? Carbon Sessions is a chance for anyone using the Carbon Design System to ask questions and get feedback. Sessions happen very Wednesday morning (Central Standard Time). Time slots are around 10 minutes, but feel free to book more than one if you need additional time.
Sign up for a Carbon Sessions time slot if you're interested in chatting further!
February 9, 2018
We're excited to bring some added functionality that enhances our Dropdown component. Filtering, Multi-select, and Inline Dropdown are new additions to our basic Dropdown component.
Note: This component is currently only available in React.
Example of Multi-Select Dropdown
Small Toggle is a style variation of our traditional Toggle component. It's more compact in size, which allows them to be used in Data Tables or inline with Form elements.
Example of Small toggle > Example of Small Toggle
Data vis: Bar graph
Bar Graph is the newest addition to our Data Visualization collection. It comes in two variations: Bar Graph and Grouped Bar Graph. You can use this component to represent quantitative information, such as comparing the taco sales between Austin taco shops in the month of June.
Data vis: Tooltip
We have created several Data Visualization Tooltip variations to show the value for a specific data point or increment range. Tooltips appear on hover above or below a data representation, depending on the use case.
Small tooltip used within a bar graph